I have always valued honest music. Artists like Bob Dylan have had a major impact on me, especially where the lyrics are concerned.
It was almost three years ago that I discovered Brand New's song Jesus Christ. The lyrics portray a very real and honest struggle between Atheism and Christianity; between existing in inertia or changing.
But over the years, as I have changed, Brand New has evolved with me. and their lyrics are just as honest and real as before.
I want you to all encounter their songs. Whether you like them or not is not my concern, but check out these songs.
1. Jesus Christ -- about the struggle to believe. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSkccp5Hvgg)
2. Luca -- parallels Luca Brasi from The Godfather and a cheating significant other. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwneE3c8zkU)
3. Seventy Times Seven -- his side of the story of finding his best friend and girlfriend together. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfsZJ33fK4A&feature=related)
4. Limosine -- a non-romanticized portrayal of drunk driving. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDEhtmPd-o8)
5. Limosine (acoustic) -- this gives me shivers every time. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLac8jIIIeE&feature=related)
*6. Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades -- about moving too fast. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDc2lkt_mE)
7. You Won't Know -- about making irreversible mistakes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5mm8ex8Vd4)
*8. The Quiet Things No One Ever Knows -- about losing a lover to your own error. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMJIc9USE2U)
*Official music videos