Monday, May 5, 2008

Time To Move On.

(A song by Tom Petty -- super good).
Since I am an expert at moving (I'd say 12 moves can qualify me for that title. I'd hate to be someone who's moved more than that!), I thought I would offer my suggestions for fellow house-shufflers.

1) Boxes don't always save space. Sometimes you need oddly-shaped things to cram into little spots in the van.
2) Sticky tack is NOT better off in a plastic bag. Just trust me.
3) Don't move in the rain if you can help it.
4) Dressers are lighter without the drawers.
5) Drawers can hold things inside them when they are stacked.
6) Hangers don't fit in boxes... unless they are metal and you have the time to bend them all.
7) Pay the housing deposit BEFORE you move in.
8) Buy some food before you move in. you know, in case you can't get to a grocery store for... say... 3 days.
9) Understand that boxes break and bags rip. But laundry baskets are eternal!
10) A phone line and internet connection are good things to set up. Soon.
11) Stealing the neighbor's internet connection is not nice.
12) Especially if you can only get it beside the window that has no view.
13) The longer you spend packing, the less time you will spend unpacking. You pick which one you want to take longer.
14) Having someone help you is always nice.
15) Having more someones to help is even nicer.
Bonus tip:
16) Don't let a metal bed-frame sit against a van window. In case of ... er .... sudden turns.

No comments: